Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Crossing Midnight: Cut Here

Crossing Midnight: Cut Here (written by Mike Carey, penciled by Jim Fern and inked by Mark Pennigton) was kind of a surprise addition to my pile of books. I say it's open to stuff to rise to the top if it's something someone just wants me to read and this one jumped to the top pretty quick.

I really like the concept of this one: boy/girl twins born on either side of midnight and marked by the forces of the Japanese parthenon. I'm a fan of legend and mythology, although I don't know much about the Japanese tradtions. It took a little time for me to wrap my brain around what was happening because I'm not that familiar with that world but once I learned the "language" of the story I really enjoyed it.

The are was kind of hit and miss for me. It seemed like Fern was really going for a Japanese style but couldn't always keep to the style he was aiming for. The Afterword by Carey was helpful in filling in the holes in what I'd figured out about the difference between the two courts the twins were dealing with. The only real complaint I had was with the story dealing with Toshi going for the gun. It didn't seem to fit in as well. That could have been the point as modern methods of dealing with the problem are not going to save them. I'm giving it a 4.

No comments: