Friday, May 16, 2008

Book of Spirits

One of the things I look for in a rules supplement is if it actually gives me ideas for the game. White Wolf's Book of Spirits did just that. Nearly every entry was another story idea for me and it just made me wish we were actually playing.

I originally bought the book to get a better idea of the Spirit realm. The universe has changed quite a bit from when I was running Werewolf and I was having trouble coming to grips with what went on in the Shadow. Unfortunately, this book didn't really cover it either. The information on the spirits, how a mortal might enter the Shadow and why spirits care about the other plane were all really interesting though. The final section with different types of antagonists was excellent.

The between chapter fiction did a really good job of setting the tone as well. The World of Darkness is supposed to be dark but it's sometimes hard to think of that personal horror. The examples provided helped me think of ways that I could draw in the people I normally Storytell. The number of ideas it gave me rates the book a 4, if it had done what I was looking for I might have rated it higher.

No comments: