Sunday, August 7, 2011

Birds of Prey: End Run

I like most of the characters that make up the Birds of Prey and I'd heard that Gail Simone was having a fantastic run on the series.  So, when I saw that the graphic novel was available, I picked it up.
It was really, really good.  It almost feels like two different stories because the first part takes place in Gotham and the second in Asia.  I liked the first part better.  Simone's characterisation of Hawk and Dove reminded me how much I liked these two characters.  All the women in Birds of Prey have their own personalities and all of them have depth.  Huntress came come across as one-dimensional but Simone doesn't let that happen.  Dove is probably the least well defined but she is just being introduced to the team.

The Penguin's blood-loss induced hallucination made me laugh out loud.

The second part was less about character and more about fighting.  Even then, I didn't feel that Black Canary was quite right.  I think there may be more to it than that but I hadn't been following her character so I'm not quite sure what state of mind she was in that Simone was trying to portray.

No comments: