Friday, May 1, 2009

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 21 War of the Symbiotes

Another Ultimate Spider-Man, another story about clones. Ho hum. I liked War of the Symbiotes but there seemed to be something missing. Or maybe there was just too much plot stuffed into too small a package. I absolutely loved the bits with Eddie talking to people on the park bench. You knew where it was going but the anticipation was built up fabulously. The inner monologue of Peter when he was swallowed by the Venom suit was also fantastic. It gave a great sense that he wasn't in control.

Unfortunately, I think the Gwen Stacy moments and the Ultimates and Carnage were just a bit too much to cram into the one volume. The story didn't really seem developed and felt like it was in a rush to get somewhere. I'm also not that fond of Silver Sable and her Syndicate. They were almost as unnecessary as the Beetle. This volume suffered from too many villains syndrome so I can only give it a 3.

No comments: