Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rosemary's Baby

I would never have normally picked up this book. I'd seen the movie, which everyone seems to love but I thought was only OK. It starts off very, very normal and then slowly adds elements of the fantastical until it goes over the top. It's a very slow build and I never really felt the pay off that I look for in a horror movie.

However, I was sitting in a hospital room, and had been sitting there for five days, and waiting for my father to die. It's not pleasant. I was alone and saw it peeking out from my brother's backpack so I started reading it. When he arrived he told me that he's already finished it so I might as well take it. It hadn't grabbed me by that point (much like the movie) but I brought it along because it was a book I could read without thinking about it. Exactly the kind of book I was looking for.

I finished on the plane the same day I started it. I have to say that the movie was very faithful to the book. It still wasn't scary. Even with the bonus of at least the description of Rosemary's baby.

No comments: