Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Subtle Knife - His Dark Materials - Book II

I enjoyed The Subtle Knife more than I liked The Golden Compass. I think part of that is because I liked Will more than I liked Lyra. Where Lyra, ultimately, triumphs because she's clever in a dishonest way; Will is the sort of person who gets labeled "hero" because he is. He does things because he feels they are right. He's just a good person and that comes through. I also liked that through Lyra's association with Will she was becoming more mature and less selfish and more of an actual person.

Pullman redeems himself to me by portraying some adults as actually having virtues which was something I felt lacking the The Golden Compass. He even allows Lee Scoresby to become a more rounded character and I enjoyed that.

I did not enjoy the ending. I'm not expecting everything to be "happily ever after" but I felt that it was not the ending that Will's quest for his father should have come to. Still, I liked the book and couldn't put it down so I'll give it a 4.

No comments: