Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Golden Compass - His Dark Materials - Book I

I have to admit I picked up Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy because of the controversy surrounding the movie. I still don't understand why people were condemning the movie without having seen it but after reading The Golden Compass I can see where some might object.

The first thing I have to say is that the book is not anti-Christian. It is anti-Church but I don't think that's the same thing. The people that represent the Magisterium are honestly trying to do the right thing. They think what they're doing is for the best. Unfortunately, it's also evil but that's saying more about human nature than about God. I don't think anyone can deny that organised religion has done some pretty awful things in the name of their God. True believers claim that those actions don't represent their religion, just the people in it. I believe that Pullman is making the same point. The Magisterium is evil, but that doesn't represent God, it represents the people in charge.

I think I might have enjoyed this book more if I'd read it maybe 20 years ago when I was more of a teen to a young adult. Some of the violence in it is more than I like in a children's book but it's definitely written for a younger audience. It's not badly written, I liked it enough to be curious about what happens next. I guess I was just hoping for something a bit closer to C.S. Lewis or J.R. Rowling. I don't think has the same adult appeal.

As I mentioned in my review of The Red Tent, I don't like it when authors villanise one group over all others. In this book the villains are adults. It seems like the only true heroes are children. Mrs. Coulter is evil. The Scholars are Jordan College are lying, backstabbing men just trying to get ahead. Even Lee Scoresby is just a mercenary when Lyra really needs help. The only adult that really stands out to be admired is Iorek Byrnison and he's a bear! It's just a 3 for me.

* EDIT *

I decided to rent the movie to see how they compared and I was completely disappointed. While I thought the book was kind of violent for a younger audience the movie did it's best to bring as little violence as possible to the screen. The plot felt forced and merely touched on most of the themes of the book rather than examining anything in any detal. The film is beautiful and well-cast but that's about it. Especially since they left off the ending.

No comments: