Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 5 Public Scrutiny

This is one of my favourite books so far with the Ultimate Spider-Man series. It feels kind of sadistic to say that though because Public Scrutiny is the one where everything goes wrong. Peter should be feeling pretty good about his super-hero career but with someone pretending to be Spider-Man going on a crime spree, the triangle forming between him, Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson and the epic break up just rounds out to a terrible few days for our hero.

I have to admit I'm on Peter's side when it comes to Mary Jane. She does have a point that he could ask about her and what's going on in her life for a change but he is absolutely devoted to her and there's nothing going on between him and Gwen. He can't control who his aunt invites to stay with them.

Plus, Aunt May is awesome. I admit, I joke about her from the old cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and I still think of her as an old weathered spinster. But the depiction she gets in the Ultimate Spider-Man makes her a saint among women.

So, as a favourite, I'm giving this one a 5.

No comments: