Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 6 Venom

This one is interesting because Peter isn't in the classic Spider-Man outfit for most of the story. In fact, in Venom, he appears more often in a stolen pair of pants and a hoody.

Venom is another character that I'm not that familiar with. I like that in the Ultimate universe Bendis made Eddie a friend rather than a rival and connects the story to Peter's father and his work as a scientist. The art in this one really lent a lot to the story as so much of it takes place in the rain and at night.

I guess I was expecting the Venom storyline to be told over a few more issues. It's one of the few instances in this Ultimate Spider-Man where I can say I found the pace a little fast. Most of the time Bendis lays down the pieces over a long time but here Peter's in and out of the Venom suit in an evening. Gwen and Mary Jane are just in the story to remind us that they're still in Peter's life.

I think this is the first stumble. I give it a 3.

No comments: