Saturday, November 29, 2008

Batman: Dark Victory

I have a confession to make. While I love Batman, I may just like Robin more. I blame Superfriends. Or maybe the 1960s Batman that I happily watched in reruns on Sunday mornings. In Superfriends, raised himself above the level of "sidekick" and became a full-fledged member of the team. In Batman, (watch it and tell me I'm wrong) whenever there was a riddle to solve, Robin would solve it. Sure, Batman always replied, "Precisely, chum!" but I got the feeling he was covering.

Anyway, so when I saw the cover of Dark Victory I was pleased to see it would include the origin of Robin. It's a bit more than that though. It's the story of Batman pulling away and then being pulled back. It's the story of the freaks of Gotham getting rid of the mobsters (something that Batman, Gordon and Dent had been unable to do) and it's the story of Two-Face. In a lot of ways it's the direct sequel to The Long Halloween.

Oh, and Robin is the one to solve the puzzle. I'm giving it a 5.

No comments: