Sunday, July 5, 2009

Nightwing: Love and War

I wanted to like this one, I really did. Marv Wolfman created Nightwing he should know how to write him, but he missed. While I liked the running commentary from the hero, I liked seeing into his mind, it's Nightwing's nature that his mouth and his brain are in motion as much as his body, I didn't like way the story was handled.

Nightwing is still a vigilante trained by Batman. I found that too much of the story took place in daylight, or that Nightwing spent time with the people he helped. I don't mind that he continued helping them. I mind that he did it in costume, in broad daylight.

It was an OK mystery story, with an OK ending, but there were big holes in the narrative where something was just missing. The second story in the volume had little connection to the first. The first hadn't really been concluded when Wolfman moved onto the second.

Bruce Wayne was only part of the story for a few panels but was done poorly while he was there. He would never had a Batman/Nightwing conversation as Bruce Wayne/Dick Grayson, and certainly not in the middle of a party. He had a Batman conversation as Bruce Wayne, saying things as he would when he's playing the billionaire playboy.

All in all, I was disappointed. I can only give it a 2.

No comments: