Sunday, June 19, 2011

Towers of Midnight

I was so excited to start this book.  The cover was Mat, Thom and Noal standing in front of a tower.  I thought, "Finally, they're going to rescue Moiraine!"  Then I read and read and read and read some more and they were still just talking about rescuing Moiraine.  At least Perrin has dealt with the Whitecloak problem.  And Berlain and Galad have met and are making cow-eyes at one another.  Everyone knows that Morgase is alive.  Rand stopped being stupid, and became essentially the second coming of Jesus.  But Mat?  Not much.  Though a nice reunion between him and Perrin.

Finally, right near the end, Moiraine is rescued.  And Mat loses an eye (also finally).  It seems so anti-climatic.  These were things that I had been waiting for nearly the entire series to finally happen.  Jordan had laid so many sub plots in the first 4-5 books that I knew what was going to happen eventually but then he seemed to get sidetracked by other things.  Now there's a rush to tide everything up before the big climatic battle.  I was getting a little concerned that the next book wouldn't be the last book as promised.  Now I'm not.  I'm worried that it'll be rushed and unsatisfying.

No comments: