Sunday, April 6, 2008

Nightwing: The Lost Year

I admit it. I'm a Nightwing fan. I like that he's a hero that has evolved within the DC Universe from a sidekick to a leader to a hero in his own right. I can put myself in his place at times wondering what it would be like to have seen my parents' deaths and then be raised by Batman. How would that screw a person up?

Nightwing: The Lost Year by Marv Wolfman, with art by Jamal Igle and Jon Bosco, is a collection of some stories from the series that deal with the time between Dick being a true sidekick to Batman and becoming his own person.

"Hero's Journey" was sweet and funny and nostalgic for the "Dynamite Duo" days of Robin and Batgirl. It was nice to see the two characters just reminiscing of their teen years when they could have, almost, had a relationship. And what stopped it from happening.

"321 Days" was closer to the New Teen Titans days that were all about teen angst. This story really went into some of the reasons that Dick decided to put aside his Robin persona and re-invent himself as Nightwing. He knows that he can handle it, he's been with Batman for years and he's led the Titans but his mentor, his father figure, seems to want to hold him back. It was a nice coming of age story.

I enjoyed this story immensely. I'm giving it the full 5 out of 5.

No comments: