Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Twilight Watch

The third in the Watch trilogy, The Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko moves beyond the morals between Light and Dark and into the morals of individual characters.

I've read both The Night Watch and The Day Watch so when I discovered that there was a third I was anxious to read it. Unfortunately I don't feel that it really stood as well the other two. Mostly, what we learn is that everything just works out well for Anton. In the first book he was able to save the world without sacrificing himself, in the second he's able to keep the woman he loves because she gets reduced in power and here in the third he gets an increase in power so that they're matched. It feels a little forced. Even the way he manages to come out on top in this one feels contrived.

Still, I enjoy seeing the glimpse at the way Russians see themselves and their country. I'm disappointed with the deus ex machina but I'm still giving this one a 3.

No comments: