Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 20 Ultimate Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

This is the one that got me started on re-reading the series. I wanted to be fresh so read something that reminded me of my childhood.

I was not disappointed. Ultimate Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends really focuses on what I feel is the strongest part of the series. It's not the action (though that is great) it's the way people react to each other. From the opening monologues where each character reflects on why he or she feels his or her life sucks to the revelation that Kenny is not as stupid as you might think he is to the awesome tale of the Shocker.

While the actual team-up of Ice Man, Spider-Man and "Firestar" that was inspired by the 80s cartoon was short and more about high school students who happen to have super powers the true strength of this volume is the final story. For most of the run the Shocker has been a running gag. He's the villain whose grand plans get foiled with little to no effort from our hero but in this one he's pushed just a bit too far. And that pushing makes for a great tale. I'm giving it a 5.

No comments: