Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Ultimates 2 Volume 1 Gods and Monsters

Gods and Monsters sort of says it all. This first volume focuses on Thor and the question of his sanity and on the Hulk and his trial for the death of 800 New Yorkers.

The Ultimates is a dark series. I like the ambiguity of Thor's divinity. Is he a Norse god or is he insane? That was some of my favourite writing in the series. I liked the way Bruce Banner was handling his trial for his actions as the Hulk. While I didn't like the way Nick Fury handled the verdict, I liked that it was how I expected him to handle it. It's good writing when the characters do what you expect them to do even if you don't want them to.

What I didn't like was the creation of more and more super soldiers. I agree that's probably what world governments would do if the technology existed. It's an arms race and if the newest technology is super powers then that's what they'd go for. I just didn't like it. I'm giving this volume a 4.

No comments: